File Management Coordinator (Bilingual), Law Society Tribunal
Job Location CA-ON-Toronto
Job ID 2018-1562 # Positions 1 Job Type Full Time Years of Experience 3 Term Permanent
The Bilingual File Management Coordinator (FMC) provides support for file management and hearings at the Law Society Tribunal in English and French, including intake, maintaining physical and electronic files and supporting and assisting the panel and court reporter/monitor at hearings. Each FMC is responsible for a group of Tribunal files and will be the primary contact person for the parties and adjudicators on their assigned files. The FMC assists in ensuring that Tribunal rules and processes are complied with in filings and at hearings and acts as clerk during complex hearings. The FMC assists adjudicators in drafting endorsements consistent with Tribunal procedures and prepares draft orders. The FMC monitors the Tribunal’s e-mail inbox, providing timely and accurate responses to inquiries from adjudicators, parties and the public and redirects information to adjudicators as appropriate. The FMC monitors deadlines to ensure materials are submitted by the parties on time and are redirected to adjudicators as appropriate. The FMC sets up the hearing room before the hearing and debriefs with the panel and court reporter/monitor afterwards, responding to inquiries and providing guidance on Tribunal processes and procedures. The FMC focuses on service to the public, professions and parties, applying and promoting the Tribunal’s core values of fairness, quality, transparency and timeliness.
- A college diploma, university degree or equivalent.
- Three years’ experience related to file management, administration, and customer service in a legal environment, preferably in an administrative tribunal or court.
- Fully bilingual in English and French.
- Excellent grasp of principles and best practices in delivering superior client service.
- Understanding of the L aw Society and the Law Society Tribunal, their policies and mandates.
- Detailed knowledge of administrative tribunal or court procedures and requirements and the Law Society Tribunal Rules of Practice and Procedure.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to multi-task and respond under time pressure.
- Knowledge of legal concepts and processes as they relate to an adjudicative tribunal setting.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, AS400, SharePoint, and the Internet.
- Clear, concise and articulate verbal and written communication skills in English and French to compose correspondence, communicate detailed information and provide audience-appropriate explanations and clarification.
- Comprehends complex written and spoken information in order to detect and correct omissions in process, procedure or detail.
Client / Customer Service Delivery
- The FMC processes new applications and other documents filed with the Tribunal on its electronic case management system.
- The FMC is the primary contact for written and electronic communications between the parties, the Tribunal and adjudicators.
- The FMC responds to time-sensitive communications quickly, seeking guidance where appropriate.
- The FMC provides concise, accurate responses to inquiries from parties and adjudicators, updates Tribunal files and monitors deadlines.
- The FMC sets up the hearing room before hearings and cleans up afterwards.
- The FMC supports the needs of the parties, court reporter/monitors and adjudicators at hearings, manages documents, and ensures the record is complete and endorsed as appropriate.
- When assigned to be present at a hearing, the FMC takes notes, stamps exhibits, and provides guidance on Tribunal processes and requirements.
- The FMC maintains physical and electronic files so that processes and the Tribunal rules are followed consistently and information is easily available to other staff, court reporter/monitors and adjudicators.
- The FMC prepares draft orders, and sends endorsements and orders to the parties and adjudicators.
- The FMC inputs time sensitive information on the Law Society Tribunal’s electronic file management system and pulls reports.
- The FMC backs up for other FMCs and is assigned as back up for the Administrator, Scheduling Coordinator or Publication Coordinator, fully understanding that role.
- The Bilingual FMC assists preparing and proofreading with French-language communications of all kinds.
- Assists with continuous departmental performance improvement (work process, procedures, and service standards), meeting or exceeding high performance targets and standards with respect to accurate and timely file management.
- Identifies gaps in process and procedure, bringing them to the attention of the Registrar or Chair and other team members and participates in solutions development to optimize both individual and departmental performance.
- Works as a part of a diverse, collegial team that includes adjudicators from a variety of backgrounds, staff, court reporter/monitors, counsel and the Chair.
- Is fully familiar with the work of other staff positions and backs up for colleagues as assigned.
- Assists colleagues in preparing and sending French communications and materials.
Relationship and Alliance Building
- Builds solid relationships with adjudicators, staff, and court reporter/monitor, using persuasive skills to encourage consistency while respecting adjudicative independence.
- Promotes confidence in the Tribunal through all interactions.
- Updates the Registrar and/or Chair on issues of significance.
The requirement to maintain a high standard of commitment, ethics, respect, care in service delivery to clients (internal and/or external).
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
The requirement to structure and deliver effective verbal and written communication with clients, staff, licensees, the public, and others in a non-threatening and constructive way.
The requirement to share responsibility for the achievement of team goals and the associated behaviours required for individuals to contribute effectively in a team environment.
The requirement to demonstrate an attitude that consistently strives to improve a standard of excellence for one’s self and for the benefit of the organization, its licensees and stakeholders.
Problem Solving and Judgement
The requirement to identify and analyze problems, determine root causes, evaluate alternative solutions and take and/or recommend appropriate solutions.
Technical Competence / Professional Knowledge
The requirement to apply knowledge and skills to carry out the work and/or provide advice. This also includes the quality of advice given, as well as the requirement to make decisions in the best interests of the organization as a whole.
The requirement to work towards and embrace change in the workplace.